Thursday, January 4, 2018

Unequally Yoked

Yesterday I went on my FIRST DATE in five years.  I know you are all very excited for me.   We met on Plenty of Fish.   He is a Christian who plays guitar at church and is a facilities manager for a hotel chain.  We went to Red Robin for dinner and went for a walk around the area to look at Christmas lights that were still up.  We held hands.  It was sweet.

We had amazing chemistry on the date.  He was funny, interesting and intelligent.  He set up a second date and I am looking forward to it.   My concern:   He was not as strong in the Lord as I was.

During our date he confessed that his work schedule prevents him from attending church often and he has not played guitar for any church since he moved to Phoenix (a year ago).   I asked him questions about his walk with the Lord and I was unsure if he was as knowledgeable about scripture as I was.  He didn't misquote it, and he had an understanding of Grace but I felt like something was missing.    He finally said: "You are the kind of women who could get me back into church and on the right path."

That didn't settle well with me.  I am glad that I am the kind of girl who encourages guys to want to be more devoted to church and God.. But... Is that my job?

While we all can agree that dating a non-christian is a terrible idea:

"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers.  For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common?  Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?"
                                                                        ~2 Corinthians 6:14

I am unsure if dating a guy who is not as spiritually strong as I am is a wise decision.   I do not think the guy I went on a date with was wicked or in darkness.  However, is dating a lukewarm Christian similar to being unequally yoked?   Why isn't he on fire for God?  Is he lukewarm only because he work schedule prevents him from attending church or are there deeper issues?   Am I only having these concerns because I am a female? I believe men are supposed to be the spiritual leaders.

Is this a red flag?

If Jesus is the center of my life and a huge component to my identity can I really be in a relationship with a guy who does not share the same passion for the Lord?

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself. It was only one date, but these are questions I have been pondering since last night.

I wish I knew the answer.   I wish I could tell you that I knew exactly how to react in this situation but the reality is that I don't.  I am new to dating (after taking many years off) and I know I did not do it right the first time around.

I am praying about it.  I am seeking wise counsel as well from trusted Christian friends who know me and might be able to help me figure out what to do when faced with a lukewarm (but good) Christian guy.

~Sunny :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & A Movie: Hawaiian

I have the gift of hospitality.  I enjoy opening up my home and inviting people over.   One of my summer goals was to Host a Dinner and Movi...