Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Struggle with Singleness~ Loneliness

Loneliness is difficult.  We are born alone and most of us will die alone.   Even with all of the distractions I have in life I find myself feeling lonely.   As a teacher I see hundreds of people everyday: Parents, students, colleagues.   I live with a roommate.  I have quality friends, hobbies,  an amazing dog and I am involved in church and yet.. I still feel lonely.

I believe this loneliness is the space where God belongs.

No human (not even a spouse or children) will be able to fill the void in your life that God is meant to fill.  I know this sounds cliche' and I certainly don't want to stick a band-aid on your loneliness with a Christianity 101 blogpost.   What did I want when I felt lonely?  I wanted a connection.  A deep, loving connection.   I have friends in my life where I just kind of "click" with them.    Even the deepest connection did not fix my loneliness.  My search for something deeper.   I was feeling lonely.

Feeling lonely meant I was alone.  However, Gods word promises:

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you;  he will never leave. you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." ~Deuteronomy 31:8
(Also see: Hebrews 13:5, Isaiah 41:10-13).

"Come near to God and he will come near to you."~James 4:8

"Casts your cares on him, for he cares for you." ~ 1 Peter 5:7

"Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted." ~Psalm 25:16

I feel lonely.  I yearn for a deep connection.   God is able to comfort me, assure me, convict me.  I open his word and wait in expectation for is presence.   I can share my my every thought with God.  I can praise him for they victories and find comfort in the pain.  Jesus understand loneliness as he was abandoned on the cross. (See Matthew 27:46).    The cure for loneliness is not simply marriage, it is in developing a close relationship with God.

~Sunny :D





No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & A Movie: Hawaiian

I have the gift of hospitality.  I enjoy opening up my home and inviting people over.   One of my summer goals was to Host a Dinner and Movi...