Sunday, December 29, 2013

When in Rome


When in Rome, we shall do what the Romans do.    Here are my thoughts on some of the Scripture passages from the book of Romans.

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our suffering because we know suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character and character hope.   And hope does not disappoint us, because GOD has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us  ~Romans 5:3-5

            I am sure most of you probably recognize the Romans 5:3-5 passage because it is often used in sermons and in books.  It’s considered a “memory verse”.   I know it’s highlighted in yellow in my bible (and it probably is in yours too).   When I think of suffering, I think of surrender.   The whole deny yourself and pick up your cross to follow JESUS thing.  At first suffering is difficult, but if you preserver it does build character.   Eventually the hope will come too.   Paul writes:

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed to us” ~Romans 8:18.  

            Suffering=perseverance=character=hope.    Suffering is surrender.   However, I have been learning that there is a very fine line between surrendering something to Christ and giving up hope.   I know I walk that fine line in the most sensitive areas of my life.  I call it extremism..  I just through my hands up in the air and yell “I give up!”.    GOD does not want me to give up.  He wants me to trust him.   He wants me to persevere.. He wants me to build character.. He wants me to have hope.   He wants me to wait patiently.

But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait patiently” ~Romans 8:25

If GOD is for us~ who can be against us?  He who did not spare His own son, but gave Him up for us all~ how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things”?  ~Romans 8:31-32

            Sometimes I forget that GOD and I are on the same team.  I am on his side. He is on my side..  I am his daughter.  Why do I feel like I am in a battle with him?   It seems so silly.   Why do I struggle to trust him in certain areas and in other areas I have complete faith in him?  It seems the areas I have faith are the areas that flourish.. My career, my finances, those kind of things.  Why do I struggle to trust him in regards to relationships?   GOD loves me with an everlasting and unfailing love.   If I trust and obey him he will graciously give me all things~  His work promises that!

~Sunny :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & A Movie: Hawaiian

I have the gift of hospitality.  I enjoy opening up my home and inviting people over.   One of my summer goals was to Host a Dinner and Movi...