Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Struggle with Singleness~ Feelings of Worthlessness

When I was in high school we used to pick teams in PE.   The most athletic kids were always picked first, followed by the popular kids.   Eventually, they would only have 2-3 kids left to choose from.

I was always the last one chosen.

I hated PE.

I was many things in high school.  I was social (Talkative).  I was intelligent.  I was musical.  I was given lead roles in musicals and plays at my school.  I loved to perform.   I had confidence in the things I knew I was good at.    However,  I was not athletic.  So when it came to choosing teams, I always felt left behind, unwanted and worthless.

While my days of choosing teams in High School have ended, the pain I feel from being unchosen remain.   I have spent 20 years of my life watching everyone around me pair up.  Women getting chosen, asked out, courted and married.  Friends, coworkers,  relatives have all been chosen.

I remained alone.

I struggle often with thoughts of worthlessness~ because I have not been "chosen" to be a wife.   I often forget about the sovereignty of God and wonder what is wrong with me.   I try to find my worth from other people instead of from God.  I was trying to seek validation in the approval of others instead of the approval of God.  

Here are some verse that I hold onto when I feel this way:

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful.  I you that full well." ~ Psalm 139:14

"Record my misery; list my tears on your scroll-are they not in your record?"~ Psalm 56:8 (in some versions of the bible it will say that God collects our tears in a bottle, I like that better)

"Indeed, the very hairs on your head are numbered.  Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." ~Luke 12:7

"I am convinced that neither death, nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, no anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." ~Romans 8:38-39

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?  Tough she may forget I will not forget you.  See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands."
~Isaiah 49:15-16

"The Lord appeared to us in the past saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.  I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt.  Again you will take out your tambourines and go out to dance with the joyful." ~ Jeremiah 31:3-4

"The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them.  He delivers them from all their troubles.  The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."~Psalm 17-19

"The Lord your God is with you, the mighty warrior who saves.  He will take delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing."  ~Zephaniah 3:17

This is not an exhaustive list of verses to hold onto when you feel worthless.   These are verses I remind myself when I feel worthless.

 God does love you.  He created you and put you here for a reason.   He has a plan for your life.   We are not worthless, we are His beloved.

~Sunny :D

*If any of you have verse you would like to add to this post, please leave them in the comments below.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & A Movie: Hawaiian

I have the gift of hospitality.  I enjoy opening up my home and inviting people over.   One of my summer goals was to Host a Dinner and Movi...