Sunday, May 7, 2017

3 Weddings and a Baby

In January, I opened my mailbox and I received 4 invitations:
3 wedding invitations
1 baby shower invitation.

 Typically when I receive these things in the mail (and I receive them often) I groan and complain that I will have to spend $50-$100 to attend an event that will only amply my single status.  I struggle because I have to accept the change in the relationship with that friend as they enter a new stage of life and I am left behind.  This is difficult because I am left grieving the loss of my friendship and left wrestling with my own unanswered prayers.

I opened up my social calendar and wrote every one of those dates down in my planner.   I vowed that I would not allow my single status (or year of dating) to take away from the joy of the day.  I refused to wallow in sadness and I vowed not to scan the room for the possible "Mr. Right" while at the weddings.   I wanted to live each moment with Joy.

What did I learn?  Weddings are incredibly fun when you focus on the actual event.   Each wedding I attended was different, but each was special and beautiful and really captured the personalities of the bride and groom.  I took notice of the candles carefully placed on each table.  The decorations in the reception hall.   During the reception, I took pictures with all of my friends.  One wedding had a photo book with masks and signs you could hold up when taking pictures.


One wedding had the most delicious raspberry lemonade.   Traditional wedding cakes are chocolate or vanilla.  My friends are more creative and offered Lemon or Carrot cake options as well.    One wedding I attended had hours of just dance music because the groom loved to dance.   I was thankful I wore flats that day.  The final wedding took place in an art gallery.  The couple was very artist and the wedding was just as "large as life" as they are.

Each wedding was unique and beautiful in their own way.   Instead of  wallowing is self-pity I enjoyed each moment of each wedding.

Now about the baby shower:
Baby showers are often very uncomfortable for me.   I don't understand babies.  They are cute and smell good but I have no idea how to relate to them.  Purchasing baby-shower gifts often feels like I am trying to navigate a jungle safari where all of the plants are pink and blue.  Fortunately, I was not alone in my awkward baby-shower mindset. The soon to be mommy was the only pregnant woman in the room and one of the only married women.   We played silly shower games and  and tried to guess how big my friends stomach has gotten.   It was an enjoyable day.

Typically, this kind of season would be difficult for me.. However, finding joy in everything has made it amazing!

~Sunny :D





No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & A Movie: Hawaiian

I have the gift of hospitality.  I enjoy opening up my home and inviting people over.   One of my summer goals was to Host a Dinner and Movi...