Thursday, January 15, 2015

Forgiveness


Do you struggle to forgive people?   I sometimes do.   I am very forgiving in most situations and for most people.  When someone cuts me in line at the market, or a friend says a hurtful comment I am quick to forgive.   Life is too short to dwell on such petty things.    However, when someone has developed a track record of hurting me I find it difficult to forgive.  This difficulty is increased when the people who wronged me refuse to accept responsibility, humble themselves, and ask for forgiveness. 

            With that being said, the bible is very clear that forgiveness is a key component of the Christian walk.   GOD forgave us for our multitude of sins, therefore we ought to forgive our brothers and sisters.  Here are some verses to ponder:

 “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, jus as in Christ GOD forgave you.” ~Ephesians 4:31-32.

“Then Peter came to Jesus and asked: Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me?  Up to seven times? Jesus answers: I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.”  ~Matthew 18: 21-22

“Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.  Forgive as the LORD forgave you.”  ~Colossians 4:13

            What is forgiveness?  What does it look like?   According to the Mayo Clinic, forgiveness “Is a decision to let go of resentment and thoughts of revenge” (See link below).   Based on this definition I have forgiven everyone who hurt me.  I am not really the type to do revenge.  I am able to see the brokenness of the sinner between the sin(s) they committed against me.    Even if I don’t want anything bad happening to someone, I don’t necessarily want certain people in my life anymore.    Does this make my forgiveness void?

No.

            I think people try to create a grey area between forgiveness and reconciliation.   Forgiveness can happen immediately, but true reconciliation can  only happen if the offending party asks for forgiveness and repents.  

“If  your brother sins, rebuke him.   If he repents, forgive him.  If he sins against you seven times a day and seven times comes back to you and asks for forgiveness, you must forgive him.  ~ Luke 17:4.



Does this mean I have to forgive and restore a friendship if someone has a track record of hurting me? No.  Rick Warren once said: “Forgiveness must be immediate, whether or not a person asks for it.   Trust must be rebuilt over time.  Trust requires a track record.   If someone hurts you repeatedly, you are commanded by GOD to forgive them instantly, but you are not expected to trust them immediately, and you are not expected to continue allowing them to hurt you.”

            I have searched my heart and I truly believe that I have forgiven people who have wronged me.   I am not seeking to harm another person.   I am not retaliating against anyone.   However, in some cases it is not imperative for me to restore a relationship with someone who hurt me.    Trust must be built up over time.  Reconciliation must happen in order to fully restore a relationship.   What can I do to keep the peace in my own heart toward someone who hurt me?

“Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.”
~Luke 6:28

            You are commanded to forgive someone who sins against you.   The bible also commands that you bless those who hurt you and pray for those who mistreat you.  I set a timer and specifically pray for an individual for 3 minutes everyday.   I pray for GOD to soften her/his heart.  I pray that GOD bless that offending party with protection, love, comfort and peace.   I pray for GOD to reconcile myself with the offending party.    I speak promises from Scripture into the other person’s life.  

~Sunny :D

MAYO CLINIC LINK:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & A Movie: Hawaiian

I have the gift of hospitality.  I enjoy opening up my home and inviting people over.   One of my summer goals was to Host a Dinner and Movi...