Sunday, February 9, 2014

Encouragement


We live in a world full of discouragement.   A negative comment by a boss, a hurtful remark by a friend, a thoughtless gesture; are all things that tear us down.  I have learned that for every 1 thing I hear that is encouraging, I will hear 6 things that are discouraging.

            Recently, I had a friend say some very discouraging words to me.  I was having a bad day and really needed some encouragement.  However, this friend said the one thing that would cut to the center of my soul and steal my joy.   Instead of feeling built up, I felt anxious and discouraged.  I felt down right unlovable. 

            Proverbs 18:21 states: “The tongue has the power of life and death.”  How true is that statement!   The fact is we live in an encouragement void world.  As Christians we are supposed to built people up.   Instead of focusing on the things they do wrong, point out the things they do right.  How can we do that?

Leave a positive note to a friend.
Make cookies for someone who is having a bad day.
Make dinner for a family that recently had an illness.
Reach out to Widows.
Say positive things.  Give genuine compliments.
Surprise co-workers with bagels.
Thank people who are in your life

            But what about you?  If you are encouraging everyone around you, then who will encourage you?  How will you keep from being sapped dry?   

“A man who refreshes others will himself be refreshed”. ~Proverbs 11:25. 

 When you do those encouraging things for others, GOD will reward you by making you feel encouraged.  Let me explain.  I have a powerful tongue and I have encouraged co-workers to the point that my words make them cry.  When those people feel encouraged by me, it makes me get warm fuzzy feelings too.  When I make cookies for a friend who is having a bad day.. I get warm fuzzy feelings.   When you encourage others, they appreciate you and thus, you get encouraged too!

~Sunny :D








No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & A Movie: Hawaiian

I have the gift of hospitality.  I enjoy opening up my home and inviting people over.   One of my summer goals was to Host a Dinner and Movi...