Wednesday, August 9, 2017

It feels like I am breathing fresh air!

In the book of Genesis it tells the Story of Joseph.   Joseph was a beloved son of Jacob.  His brothers sold him into slavery and he eventually ended up in Jail.   After he was released from Jail he became the right hand man for Pharaoh.  

I feel like Joseph.  I was not released from prison, but I feel like my position at work has changed drastically with one change.

We got a new principal.

My last principal played favorites and I was not one of them.  There were back-handed compliments, harsh evaluations, and unreasonable demands placed on me.   I know of teachers who advanced their own personal agendas at my expense.   I felt oppressed and unappreciated but stayed because I had hope it would eventually get better.

My new principal has only known me a week but already loves me.  I have gone from the person everyone avoided to the one everyone wants to be friends with.  The power structure has changed and I am at the top.    My principal has a mentor who happened to work with me at another school several years ago.  The mentor was at one of our meetings and she gave me a hug when she saw me.  Then she said "This teacher is fabulous!  You are lucky to have this one!"  in front of the whole staff~ including teachers who previously made my life difficult. 😏

It was satisfying to see all the jaws drop.

Many of the parents in the school have also been singing my praises to the principal during a recent PTA meeting.  Some of the nice comments made me blush. 😊

After several years of being mistreated, it feels good to be recognized for my accomplishments.   I have planted seeds and I am finally able to reap what has been sown.

Back to the story of Joseph.   He was able to teach his brothers a lesson and he used his position for good.    I am very excited about my upcoming school year and yet I want to be humble.  I want to use this position to bring encouragement to my colleagues.  I don't want to my newfound favor to manipulate situations to get my way, at the expense of another.  I want to honor God with my actions.

I can't stop smiling.   I am so happy.    It truly feels like I am breathing fresh air! 😁

~Sunny :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & A Movie: Hawaiian

I have the gift of hospitality.  I enjoy opening up my home and inviting people over.   One of my summer goals was to Host a Dinner and Movi...