Sunday, November 20, 2016

Holy Spirit~ Part 1

The Holy Spirit is often something that is not fully understood by Christians.  I remember doing a study on the Holy Spirit and learned a great deal that I wanted to pass along to you.   Through these next few posts, I am only scratching the surface of the Holy Spirit and His role in our lives. 

This post will focus on John 14.   This passage takes place in the upper room prior to Jesus being arrested.    Jesus is preparing his disciples for his departure

John 14: 1-4   1“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.  2 In my Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?  3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.  4 You know the way to the place where I am going. 

 John 14: 5-14   5Thomas said to him: “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?   6 Jesus answered: “I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.  7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well.  From now on, you do know him and have seen him.  8 Philip said : “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”   9Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me Phillip, even after I have been among you such a long time?  Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.  How can you say, “Show us the Father?”   10 Don’t you believe that I am the Father and the Father is in me?  The words I say to you are not just my own, Rather it is the Father, living in me who is doing his work.  11 Believe me when I say that I am the Father and the Father is in me: or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.   12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.   13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.  14 You may ask me for anything in my name and I will do it.”

A few things are happening in that passage.   First, If you look at John 14:1-4, you will see that Jesus is trying to comfort his disciples and show give assurance of heaven.

Also, throughout entire passage you can see how Jesus is stressing the connections between the Father and himself.
14:1  Believe in God, Believe also in me.
14:6  No one comes to the Father except through me.
14:7 If you knew me, you would know my Father as well.
14:9 Anyone who has seen me, has seen the Father.
14:10  I am in the father and the father is in me.
14:11  I am the father and the father is in me.

Lastly,  In John 14:12, “.   12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.”  Jesus is encouraging his disciples and preparing them for his departure.   This verse does not mean physical works (Such as walking on water or turning water into wine).   This verse is giving encouragement to the disciples that they will carry one the mission of Jesus and spread the good news of salvations.   They will be witnesses to the world.


As you can imagine, the disciples were upset and quite anxious about the pending death of Jesus.   Continuing in John 14, Jesus will continue to reassure his disciples by promising a helper~ the Holy Spirit.   The Holy spirit with be a helper to the disciples to spread the gospel.

John 14:16-17 16I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever- 17 The Spirit of truth, the world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him.  But you will know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.”

Jesus is stating that the Holy Spirit is already among them.   The Holy Spirit already existed.   In fact, if you keep reading my next few blog posts you will see that the Holy Spirit has been around for a very long time.


~Sunny :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dinner & A Movie: Hawaiian

I have the gift of hospitality.  I enjoy opening up my home and inviting people over.   One of my summer goals was to Host a Dinner and Movi...